Monday, August 6, 2007

Cambodian beef lok lak

One of the best meals I had during my trip to Southeast Asia was Cambodian beef lok lak. I enjoyed this dish while I was in Siem Reap, where the amazing temples of Angkor Wot are located.
Cambodian beef lok lak (or loc lac) consists of stir-fried cubes of beef in a spicy lime marinade served with a fried egg and rice. This was a hearty and satisfying meal to enjoy after a long day scrambling around the temples in the steaming jungle. Chow has a good recipe for it here.


Siem Reap is a magical place. I was surprised at the number of tourists there and I was particularly surprised at the Las Vegas-style hotels being constructed along the road to the airport. The tourism industry is booming there, according to the latest statistics.

I have to confess that during my trip to Southeast Asia I didn't partake in a lot of the streetfood. I was worried about getting sick and--sure enough--I did get sick one evening while I was in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City. But I've recently came across a short article, How to Eat Street Food Without Ruining the Trip, that contains some good tips.


Coming up: I have a few more posts to make about my trip to Southeast Asia once I've sorted through my photos. I also just got back from a trip to Portland, Oregon, and the International Pinot Noir Festival in McMinnville, so expect to see a report on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment